Jimmy Page is an English musician, songwriter, and producer best known as the guitarist and founder of the iconic rock band Led Zeppelin. Born on January 9, 1944, in Heston, Middlesex, England, Page is regarded as one of the most influential and talented guitarists in the history of rock music.
Jimmy Page Quotes
I can communicate far better on a guitar than I can through my mouth.
Once I get onstage the tension explodes and I’m fine. I’m in another world – in a trance almost, doing what I love best, expressing myself through guitar.
I believe every guitar player inherently has something unique about their playing. They just have to identify what makes them different and develop it.
Let’s just say I’m like a ship passing through storms, resting in ports now and then until it’s time to continue the journey. I once told a friend, `I’m just looking for an angel with a broken wing – one that couldn’t fly away.’
Music is the one thing that has been consistently there for me. It hasn’t let me down.
You can’t overthink the music. Mood and intensity can’t be manufactured. The blues isn’t about structure; it’s what you bring to it. The spontaneity of capturing a speciﬁc moment is what drives it.
Many people think of me as just a riff guitarist, but I think of myself in broader terms. As a musician I think my greatest achievement has been to create unexpected melodies and harmonies within a rock and roll framework. And as a producer I would like to be remembered as someone who was able to sustain a band of unquestionable individual talent, and push it to the forefront during its working career. I think I really captured the best of our output, growth, change and maturity on tape – the multifaceted gem that is Led Zeppelin.
The greatest satisfaction is not the decoration. It is knowing that I am able to help someone who needs help.
I’m at my best when I’m exhausted and under pressure.
Let me explain something about guitar playing. Everyone’s got their own character, and that’s the thing that’s amazed me about guitar playing since the day I first picked it up. Everyone’s approach to what can come out of six strings is different from another person, but it’s all valid.
You absorb so much from whatever your environment is, as an artist, and you learn to take from it what can help you create.
Jimmy Page Quotes
- “I always believed in the music we did and that’s why it was uncompromising.”
- “I believe every guitar player inherently has something unique about their playing. They just have to identify what makes them different and develop it.”
- “The most important thing about playing is to make sure that you’re tuning your ear to all the different aspects of your playing.”
- “Music is for every single person that walks the planet.”
- “I don’t want to be seen as a virtuoso. I want to be seen as a musician.”
- “The most important part of my religion is to play guitar.”
- “You’re always learning about this thing every time you pick it up.”
- “My vocation is more in composition really than anything else – building up harmonies using the guitar, orchestrating the guitar like an army, a guitar army.”
- “I’m just looking for an angel with a broken wing.”
- “If you’re going to be a copy, why not be a copy of something good?”
- “I always felt like I was on a voyage with the four of us, looking at the far distant shore of getting our first number one single. And we didn’t get it with the first single, or the second single… it was only the third one that we got it.”
- “As far as I’m concerned, I’ve never been cool and don’t really see the prospect of that situation happening. All I want to do is play guitar.”
- “It’s a challenge every time you go in the studio – you want to better the previous album, every time.”
- “I think everyone would like a bit of peace and quiet and time for contemplation. But I think the reality of life is that it’s always changing.”
- “We were interested in this idea of finding a space to be ourselves rather than just a reactant against all the machinery.”